Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Experience Is In the Coaching

Over the past couple weeks, I’ve been paying great attention to how other Crossfits and other gyms operate. It will come as no surprise that the primary focus of “globo-gyms” is simple, make money and don’t get sued. Not even safety, but simply don’t let people get injured in a manner where they could blame the facility. This is why there are machines everywhere, joint dysfunctions, movement dysfunctions, and fat people. I’m not criticizing them because they are fat, I’m only pointing out that their fitness program is failing to provide them with results.

Now that we’ve got that out of the way, what about Crossfits? What is the primary focus of a Crossfit? First off, Crossfit is not a gym. The gym is simply a tool that Crossfit utilizes. You could build a gym in your garage just as easily, but a lifting platform, Olympic barbell set, and a pullup bar doesn’t make it a Crossfit. What is it that you, the athlete (or “client” as globo-gyms call you), are coming to Crossfit for? The answer is coaching. If you are looking for a gym, you can shop around for one with a spa, find one with a pool, look for something that Rocky Balboa would be proud of, or create your own in a basement or garage. If you’re looking for instruction and coaching, there is no equal to Crossfit.

This instruction is what makes Crossfit so special. It is an understanding of the movements both from experience and knowledge. The environment is conducive to developing great coaching. Anyone can study and get their CSCS, NASM, ACE, etc. Those certifications say nothing about the individual’s ability to coach or correct movement though. I’ve seen coaches with Master’s degrees and PhDs who can’t recognize or correct improper lumbar extension on a shoulder press or sacral flexion on a back squat. The certification, degree, or knowledge amounts to very little without the ability to apply it. The goal is to not only to perform the workout, but to perform it correctly. Simply completing the range of motion is not enough.

This reflects back on trainers above all. I believe Nicki Violetti posed the question first, if you are not providing coaching, then what are you providing? As a coach/trainer, whatever you chose to call yourself, it is your job to provide the best level of instruction and attention you are capable of. This means guiding your athletes through class from beginning to end providing feedback, both reinforcement and correction. Proper instruction requires 100% of your attention. Anything less than that is a failure to provide your athletes with appropriate coaching. Without it, small deviations in form such as an anteriorly rotated pelvis will manifest into conditions such as facet syndrome or SI joint dysfunction. It is not enough to just recognize the big things like a spine in flexion while deadlifting, the over extension is just as serious and actually more likely to cause injury. A failure to recognize these faults is as much a failure to coach as providing no instruction at all. Perfection is non-negotiable.

Simply because it’s still fresh in my mind, I refer back to my recent “Tour de Crossfit.” At some Crossfits, I saw coaches who prescribed the workout, gave instruction during the workout, and nothing more. At other Crossfits, I saw coaches who were more like cheerleaders than coaches, providing plenty of verbal motivation but relatively no useful instruction. But, at the best Crossfits, I saw coaches who from the time class started, their only focus was the athletes. They weren’t working out, they weren’t carrying on conversations, they weren’t cheerleading, they weren’t warming up for their workout, or distracted with anything. They were there to do one thing, coach. They led the athletes through the warm up, they instructed them on proper form and technique for the workout, and they provided both constructive criticism and positive reinforcement.

A great example of this professionalism is my friend, Sage Burgener. I attended as many of Sage’s weightlifting classes as I could get to. Each class, it was clear that she was there for her athletes. Class started with a warm up, where she not only instructed us on the progression, but also provided feedback on form and technique. Then she would begin the workout where she provided constant attention and instruction to the athletes. Her carefully trained eye quickly picked up every deviation in form, and she provided instant correction. While working with Sage, I learned to correct the second and third pull of my clean, and because of her instruction, I PR'd on my front squat while there, and I recently PR’d on my snatch upon my return home. The athletes who train with her regularly are very lucky to have such a focused and knowledgeable coach. Her positive attitude and genuine encouragement drove me to push hard, but her attention and instruction maintained my form and technique. Each time I worked with her, I improved as an athlete. I think that all coaches should follow an example like Sage and strive to conduct their classes in the same manner.

I also had the pleasure of training with Ben Oliver at Crossfit Coronado. Ben’s coaching is what I have based many of my recent changes on. Ben began class with movement prep which he led us through from movement to movement. He then explained the workout and took time to determine appropriate modifications for each athlete. I settled on a 1.5 pood kettlebell and a 30” box, however, a 2 pood kettlebell and a 36” box was available for those with the courage. During the workout, Ben moved among the athletes providing feedback and instruction. Because of Ben’s attention and knowledge, I was able to correct my form on my handstand pushups which allowed me to perform them pain free. His enthusiasm was contagious, and it was evident that everyone enjoyed training with him. Afterwards, Ben instructed everyone to cool down with some stretching and foam rolling. It was a great environment, one of the friendliest groups of people I’ve met, and an awesome coach to work with.

I relate these experiences because this is what makes Crossfit so unique. I could’ve bought a day pass to a YMCA and done some lame workout by myself, but at a Crossfit, the coaching you receive makes the workout. The same workout at any other place just woudn’t have been the same experience.

3 comments:

Steve said...

I couldn't agree more that the coaching is what makes crossfit different from every other gym out there. But I've never seen a coach who actually tried to workout with the athletes or start warming up while he/she was coaching. I don't know where you saw that but I assure you that's not the norm. The cheerleadres are much more common.

Matt said...

Is this the article you were talking about? How do you combat the fact that most are familiar with CSCS and other major certifications? I get that you really focus on coaching like it's some kind of science, but people tend to choose what they know.

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, glad you got a chance to read it. People are more familiar with the big name certifications, but that's not to say that other certifications don't have validity. You can get your CSCS or NASM and have no idea how to properly squat. Those certifications test more book knowledge than actual coaching ability. I've seen some great coaches who have no certifications at all, and recently Mark Rippetoe actually gave up his CSCS because of a disagreement with their stance. I don't really try to compete with the globo gyms or other trainers. I think that if people try different coaches, they will chose the one who actually instructs them and provides them with measurable results regardless of certifications.